If you are currently undergoing orthodontic treatment, you may be wondering what to do in the case of an emergency. Here at CaliSmile Orthodontics, we are here to help; here are some tips for handling an orthodontic emergency.
What is an Orthodontic Emergency?
Mild soreness, pressure, and discomfort are all perfectly normal sensations to experience during orthodontic treatment. As the brackets and wires work to shift the teeth into their places, they apply gentle yet continuous pressure. Over time, this pressure tends to lead to these symptoms.
It’s important to keep in mind that these symptoms do not constitute an orthodontic emergency. They can typically be easily treated with over-the-counter pain medication or by applying ice to the sore area.
Below are some scenarios that typically indicate an orthodontic emergency:
- If you are experiencing intense pain that does not subside with the use of ice or pain medication; this is usually an indication that you are experiencing an orthodontic emergency.
- Broken brackets or wires – whether they are causing pain or not – are also considered to be orthodontic emergencies, and must be addressed at once.
- Bleeding, swelling, or infection in the gums should be immediately treated.
- If you have experienced blunt-force trauma to your face or mouth, it’s crucial that you seek professional attention right away.
Orthodontic Emergency Treatment
If you are experiencing an orthodontic emergency in Los Angeles County, it is important that you give us a call right away at 310-710-6527.
Once you arrive at our Encino or West Hills dental office, we will conduct a thorough examination to find the root cause of your pain. We will then work with you to develop a treatment plan.
Before your appointment, you can take some preventative steps to minimize your pain and prevent the condition from worsening. This includes:
- Take over-the-counter pain medication as directed to minimize pain as much as possible
- Apply ice to the afflicted area to minimize pain and swelling
- If a wire has broken and is sticking into the gums or cheeks, gently move the wire with a clean eraser tip. You can also apply wax to the end of the wire to keep it from causing more harm
- Keep the mouth clean with warm salt water rinses
Orthodontic Emergency Treatment in Encino and West Hills
For the most comprehensive orthodontic treatment in Encino and West Hills, California, trust in CaliSmile Orthodontics.
Dr. Amir Dehghan has worked diligently for over 17 years. Since the start of his career, he has worked to perfect the art of dentistry. He strives to provide top-tier dental treatment to his patients in Los Angeles county.
Dr. Amir – along with his team of experienced professionals – are here to help you maintain your oral health, which is especially important during orthodontic treatment.
CaliSmile Orthodontics currently has offices in both Encino and West Hills, California. Give us a call anytime at 310-710-6527 or fill out our online appointment request form for a comprehensive consultation in one of our Los Angeles county orthodontic offices.