Dental care can be quite expensive with or without insurance. Hence, we are always looking for the best possible treatment at the most reasonable cost. When it comes to correcting teeth misalignment, there are typically two options; metal braces and Invisalign (plastic braces). The two treatments have different levels of availability, effectiveness, and affordability. So, in the event you are leaning more towards this treatment, we are here to answer the question, ‘is it worth the money?’
According to invisalign.com, the cost of Invisalign ranges between $2,500 and $7,000. Your insurance plan can help you cover about half of the cost. For comparison, metal braces cost between $2,000 and $6,000.
These prices obviously depend on the state of the patient’s teeth. The more misaligned the teeth are, the more time and money you will spend to get the teeth into the ideal position.
Advantages of Invisalign
- The most significant advantage of using Invisalign over tradition braces is the fact that they are barely visible. This is a plus for adults (and children) who might be conscious of braces being too obvious when they smile.
- They are easy to remove when eating and brushing teeth. This makes maintenance less tedious than with metal braces. Metal braces also require one to avoid certain foods such as chewing gum and popcorns. Invisalign does not come with such prohibitions.
- Require fewer visits to the dentist’s office than metal braces. Metal braces require professional maintenance, while Invisalign requires you to change the trays every so often.
- They align teeth more gradually, which could mean minor discomfort to the gums and cheeks compared to metal braces. This is also bevies; they are made of soft plastic and from an exact mould of your mouth.
- They do not necessarily take longer than braces. In some cases, they may even be the faster treatment option.
Check out our before & after gallery!
Disadvantages of Invisalign
- They might be more expensive than braces.
- Since they are removable, it is easier to lose or break them, resulting in incurring more money.
- They might cause discomfort and achiness in some people.
- They might not work as efficiently as metal braces for people with complex teeth misalignment.
How to Use Invisalign
While metal braces emphasize function over style, Invisalign provides both. It is a less obvious, less invasive way of treating teeth misalignment. However, this also means that it might be hard for the doctor to determine precisely how long a particular patient might need them. The average period is 6 months to 18 months. The recommended time to have Invisalign on per day is 20-22 hours for the entirety of the treatment period. Failure to adhere to this recommendation can add time to the process.
So, is Invisalign worth the money? The answer is dependent on a number of factors. The difference between the cost of traditional metal braces and Invisalign is not huge.
Considering its advantages outweigh its disadvantages, it is worth the money if;
- Your insurance plan can cover part of the treatment.
- You are conscious of the appearance of metal braces and are looking for more discreet treatment.
- Your dental cosmetic issues are not complex.
- You can commit to having them on for the recommended amount of hours per day.
- You want to avoid the extra steps of cleaning and maintaining metal braces.
At the end of the day, it is up to you and your orthodontist to decide which treatment is better for your individual case. We at Cali Smiles Orthodontics provide Invisalign solutions for both teenagers and adults. Get a free consultation session to discuss the treatment as well as payment options.
Check out our before & after gallery!